West Virginia Division of Labor


West Virginia Division of Labor FAQs

small logo

Home > FAQs > Licensing> Conractor Licensing FAQs

Qualifier: Who can qualify a company?  Owner, Officer, Member (as listed with WV Secretary of State) OR a Full-Time Employee (must provide payroll records for the 2 months preceding test date and a letter stating they allow the company to use their scores) Changing Qualifier? Notify Contractor Licensing office of new qualifier in writing along with documentation of test scores and any other required support documents (see above).

Testing/Scores: Do scores expire? Scores do not expire, however they may only be used 3 times. Scores are used to qualify a company, reapply for license or open a new company. How do I add a classification to my existing license? Once the required exam has been passed, notify our office in writing (mail or fax) of the passing score and include a request to add the classification to the license. There are no fees (other than the testing fee) associated with this procedure.

Renewing Licenses:How do I know when to renew my license? Contractor Licenses renew each year at the date listed on the license. Renewal notices are mailed approximately 30 days prior to serve as a reminder, however they are not required in order to renew.

How do I renew my license? You can mail a check or money order for $90.00 to our office (with the renewal form and/or license number listed on check) or you may renew online with a credit card at www.wvlabor.org.   ***Note*** Licenses renewed more than 15 days after the renewal date incur a $25.00 late fee.Licenses expired for more than 90 days, require that you reapply (no testing is required provided your original scores have not been used more than 3 times). Grandfathered licenses that are allowed to go over 90 days, require examination before new license can be issued. Applicant must be in good standing with all required agencies (Secretary of State, Tax-Business Registration, Worker’s Compensation and Unemployment) before a license will be renewed.

What proof is required for Worker’s Compensation and Unemployment? If you have employees (other than yourself, partners, members or officers) you must have worker’s compensation and unemployment coverage. If you are an out of state company with no employees that reside in WV, you only need to show/provide copies of your state’s worker’s compensation certificate and the most recent quarterly report showing that you pay into unemployment. If you have employees that reside in WV you must register with the appropriate WV agencies to obtain coverage. Proof of coverage must be submitted with the renewal in order to be processed. If you are renewing online please fax the documents to (304)558-5174.

Application Process and Requirements: Do I need to include the Wage Bond Status Affidavit? Yes. All applicants, regardless of status,
must complete this form and include it with the application for Contractor’s License. License will NOT be processed without this form. Applicant must be in good standing with all required agencies (Secretary of State, Tax-Business Registration, Worker’s Compensation and Unemployment) before a license will be issued.

How long will it take to get my license? The time required varies depending on how long it takes to complete registration with the other agencies. Once the application is received in the Licensing office the license is usually issued within ten to fifteen working days via mail, or same day if brought to the office (provided everything is in compliance).  Please Note that CASH is NOT ACCEPTED.

Testing: I’ve tested, what do I do next? The Licensing office is the last step in the process. Registration must be completed with all other agencies (Secretary of State—if applicable, WV State Tax Department, Worker’s Compensation—if applicable, and Unemployment—if applicable) before application can be made and processed for Contractor License.

How do I know which test to take? Contact the Contractor’s Licensing office to confirm which tests need to be taken. All contractors must take the WV Business & Law exam. Information on the other exams is available on this site.

How do I find out about scheduling tests, study guides and test fees? Contact Prov (866-720-7768).

Does West Virginia offer Reciprocity in order to obtain a license? The ONLY reciprocity agreements are with North Carolina and Ohio, Master Electrical only.

Other FAQ's: How do I change my address/phone number? Notify the Contractor Licensing office in writing (mail or fax) with requested changes.

How do I change the name of my company (as listed on the Contractor’s License)?  All name changes (keeping the same FEIN) must be completed with all other agencies (Sec. Of State, Tax, Workers Comp and Unemployment) before the change can be made to the license. Once completed with other agencies notify Contractor’s Licensing office in writing of the request to change the name, and include supporting documents from other agencies.

How do I change the status of my company (Sole Proprietor to LLC etc)? Call Contractor’s Licensing office to request a status change letter/packet which details the process and required documents. Make sure to leave current license number, address, and what change you are making.
Can a copy of my license be faxed? We cannot fax a Contractor’s License, however we can fax a status letter that states the license is active and what classifications are listed.
How do I get a “handyman” license? Contractor Licensing does not issue a handyman license. Work performed under $2,500.00 (materials and labor, total contract not just the work you are performing) does not require a license, other than a West Virginia State Tax Business License. Work over this amount requires you to obtain a Contractor’s License for the type of work being performed.
Can I get a temporary license? No, the state of West Virginia does not issue temporary licenses

I am not registered with a DBA, why is my company name listed in the DBA field on my license? At this time our system automatically fills in the company name if you do not request to be licensed with a separate DBA. If you are registered in other state agencies with a DBA other than your company name, it must also appear on your Contractor’s License.

Who is the “License Holder”? The license holder is the person who took the qualifying exam(s).

If I am a subcontractor receiving less than $2,500.00 for a job do I need a Contractor’s License?
Yes, Licensing requirements are based on the total contract for the project, not just the individual portions.

About Us | Website/Technical| Questions about Labor | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Site Map | ©2009 WV Division of Labor