West Virginia Division of Labor


West Virginia Division of Labor FAQs

small logo

Home > FAQs > Manufactured Housing FAQs

What is a manufactured home? A manufactured home (formerly known as a mobile home) is built to the Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards (HUD Code) and displays a red certificate label on the exterior of each transportable section. Manufactured homes are built in the controlled environment of a manufacturing plant and are transported in one or more sections on a permanent chassis.

How should a site for a manufactured home be chosen? Site selection is critical to the performance of your home. Make certain that your home site is properly prepared and that water drains away from the foundation. Easy access to the site ensures that the transporter will not be impeded by trees or branches that may cause damage to your home.

Who should install/set-up the home? Normally, an installer may be either the retailer, through the sales agreement, or someone under contract with the retailer to perform the installation. You should make sure the contractor hired to install the home is licensed and will do so in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and, if applicable, state installation regulations.

Whom do I contact if my home was damaged during installation? Retailers may contract with their customers for the installation of their homes, in which case the retailer is your first contact for installation-related problems. If the retailer does not arrange for the installation and you choose the installation contractor, you should contact the installer who performed the work.

Will instructions be provided with my new home regarding homeowner care and warranty considerations? Yes, each new manufactured home comes complete with manuals that provide information about the operation, maintenance and repair of your home, including the manufacturer’s recommended procedures for installation, anchoring and connection to on–site utilities.

Will a consumer receive a manufacturer’s warranty with their new home? Most manufacturers offer a warranty that covers the performance of the structure and factory-installed plumbing, heating, and electrical systems during a specified period. Also, some factory-installed appliances and certain building components are covered by their own warranties. Ask your retailer for details. Before you purchase a home, it is important to understand who offers the warranty, who performs the service, and what is and is not covered. Manufacturers are not responsible for failures that occur as a result of normal wear and tear, consumer abuse, installation, or neglect of maintenance.

Are manufactured homes maintenance-free? No home is maintenance-free. Building materials used in manufactured homes, just as in site-built homes, require proper maintenance to extend their life. The homeowner’s manual, which accompanies every new home, explains proper maintenance requirements.

Do I have to enclose the area underneath my home? Many manufacturers require some type of perimeter enclosure and/or a ground vapor retarder. Enclosure material should be resistant to decay and is usually installed by either the retailer or installer. The perimeter enclosure, when properly installed with adequate ventilation, improves the energy performance of your home and protects your home from the weather. If you elect not to install enclosure material around your home, you will need to check the manufacturer’s warranty to determine if this will affect the coverage.

Can a consumer construct an addition to the home or make structural changes to the interior? Any significant change, such as an addition or structural alteration, may require local permits and could take the home out of compliance with the HUD Code. Keep in mind that the manufacturer is not responsible for any damages or latent problems caused by the added structures or alterations, and that changes to your home could affect your warranty.

May a consumer make repairs to the home? Yes, you should be able to make repairs to your home. Consult with your retailer or manufacturer if you have a concern that any repairs you make will affect your warranty. If your home is still under warranty, the manufacturer’s authorization may be required.

Can a consumer make repairs to the home and be reimbursed by the manufacturer? It would be unusual for the manufacturer to authorize a homeowner to perform repairs and be reimbursed. You must first check with the manufacturer and/or retailer before starting to make repairs and request that they provide you written authorization or a reimbursement agreement.

If a consumer has a problem with the home, who do they contact? First, contact your retailer. Then follow up with a written list of problems to the retailer, manufacturer, and installer. You should keep a copy of all correspondence for your personal records. Follow up any correspondence with a call to the retailer and/or manufacturer to discuss your problems and schedule a service appointment. If your home is not repaired within a reasonable time period, or if the responsible party refuses to make repairs, you may contact the Division of Labor Manufactured Housing section at (304)558-7890. They may be able to assist in resolving problems with a manufactured home if the manufacturer and/or retailer has been unresponsive to the homeowner’s service request.  

Does the Manufactured Housing Board have jurisdiction on modular homes? No. The Board only regulates a home built according to HUD Code. A modular home is built according to the building code adopted in the area in which the modular home will be installed.

Do I need a dealer license to sell my personal manufactured home that is titled in my name? No. A person is allowed to sell their personal home without a dealer license. If you sell multiple manufactured homes (HUD Code), you are required to have a dealer license.

Who needs a manufactured housing license for installing homes?  Any person who performs operations in the State at the occupancy site which render a manufactured home fit for habitation. This does not include a person who does work on a manufactured home which is owned or leased by that person.

Do I need a manufactured housing license to transport homes? No, this work is regulated by the State Department of Transportation (304)558-9483.

I am a licensed contractor with the residential classification. Can I work on the site of a manufactured home or perform the installation? No, you must be certified by passing the Manufactured Home Installation Exam and add this classification to your contractor’s license and acquire an Installers license from the Manufactured Housing Board.

I am a realtor planning to sell manufactured homes. Do I need a manufactured housing dealer license?  Yes, you will need a license. However, if the land is sold with the home a license will not be required.

I am a federal housing contractor, do I need a manufactured housing license to install homes or sub-contract the installation to a licensed contractor? Yes, for HUD Code homes you and all sub-contractors are required to be licensed properly with the Manufactured Housing Board. However, for homes not built to HUD Code this license is not required.

Do I have to send in the quarterly report form if I did not perform any work during the quarter? Yes. If you did not perform any work please write no activity across the form, sign, date and return to our office via fax or mail. Failure to do so or submitting the form late may result in a monetary penalty being issued by the board.

About Us | Website/Technical| Questions about Labor | Contact Us | Privacy Notice | Site Map | ©2009 WV Division of Labor