Crane Operator Certification Overview
West Virginia Law requires the certification of crane operators. The act became effective on September 1, 2001. After that date, no crane operator may work in West Virginia without proper certification issued by the West Virginia Division of Labor.
Working without proper certification may result in penalties levied on both the crane operator and the crane operator's employer.
The following steps must be completed before an operator’s certification can be issued. Please pay special attention to the order in which you must take your examinations and submit your documentation. The Division of Labor forms are available on the Crane Operator Certification Forms Page.
To Get a Crane Operator Certification, you are required to complete a three (3) step process.
1. To register for your written examination, contact the testing agent listed below:
International Assessment Institute (I.A.I.) Phone #: (727) 449-8525
To register for your practical examination, contact the authorized examiner listed below:
National Commission for the Certification of Crane Operators (N.C.C.C.O.) Phone #: (703) 560-2391
2. Once you have successfully completed your examination(s), please submit the following to the West Virginia Division of Labor:
- A copy of your written and practical examination scores and a copy of your N.C.C.C.O. card.
- A current physical examination.
- A completed application form and the seventy-five ($75) certification fee, NO CASH PLEASE.
3. Upon completion of your examination(s), submission of a proper application/documentation and the certification fee, your Certification will be printed and mailed to you within ten (10) days.